ICA Station - a significant part of wairarapa history
ICA Station is a well known Wairarapa property 32km east of Masterton. It was established in 1865 by Rev J C Andrew's purchase of 18,000 acres of the southern portion of neighbouring Castlepoint Station.
Taken in 1910 after shearing 35,000 ewes in main shear
ICA was purchased by Motu-nui Romneys in 2007 and now comprises 610ha plus a further 65ha leased. The property is approximately 25% flat land and 20% rolling with the balance made up of rolling to steep hill country.
Since Motu-nui Romneys took the property over there has been substantial development to the infrastructure to bring it up to the stock-proof standard required in a stud breeding operation.
Water is an ongoing issue in this dry eastern region of the Wairarapa and significant resources have been put into dam work and reticulation of water over the property.
Stock handling facilities at ICA Station are of the highest standard with covered yards for 2,000np and two sets of satelite yards. The six stand woolshed dates back to 1867 and is the oldest in the Wairarapa - it is still in extremely good working order.
ICA runs approximately 4,000 fully-recorded ewes of which 100% are mated to a Romney sire.
ICA woolshed today